Monday, July 7, 2014

Old Ballard

I was born and raised in the Midwest, so it's not much of a surprise that I've settled in the friendly confines of the Ballard neighborhood here in Seattle. Ballard was founded in 1889 as a lumber and shingle mill haven (Salmon Bay was often just a sea of cedar logs), and became annexed with Seattle in 1907, due in large part to its dependence on Seattle's clean water supply. Ballard continued to grow and attract settlers from all over Europe, but mainly from Scandinavian countries who brought their skills and smarts related to boat building and fishing, further connecting Ballard to its waterfront roots. I've been finding relics from Ballard's past at some estate sales recently, and thought I'd share a few photos here on my long-dormant blog. I'm a fan of history, so anything that sheds light on my favorite Seattle neighborhood's past you know I'm going to snap up in a second. Cheers to old Ballard and hoping you survive another 125 years! 



No comments:

Post a Comment